Monday, September 1, 2014

HW1.3

One game I really enjoy is one that's had a lot of hype on the internet lately called Shovel Knight.  It's a side scrolling platformer adventure game where you play as a knight wielding a shovel trying the save his country and his friend.
The game is a crowd-funded (through kickstarter) indie game developed by Yacht Club Games.  What I love about it is that the developers were able to perfect the older Megaman style side scrolling games that I grew up playing while adding very fresh and funny mechanics and dialogue.  It's a fun game with great art design and even better music.  More information about the game can be found here:

http://yachtclubgames.com/shovel-knight/



Another game I played recently that I really enjoyed is called Enemy Mind.  It's a really creative reimagining of Shoot em up, or bullet hell, games like Ikaruga.  This game has a novel concept in that you play as some alien being that can possess space ships.  The game works by having you start with one ship and shoot your way through a level on a rail.  When your ship runs out of ammo or health, or you just see a ship you'd rather have, you have the option of quickly firing your astral self to the other ship before getting gunned down.  A healthy number of "Terran" and alien ships make it a really interesting play mechanic that lets you explore different gun types and find your favorite types of ships.  My only complaint is that the story was pretty hard for me to follow.  I really couldn't tell if it was confusing just for confusion's sake.  It honestly also could have been an amazing, meaningful story that just went over my head.
Game site:

http://www.enemymindgame.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment